File Size: 3.21 MB
Media Type:Fact Sheet | Brochure | Poster | Extension Report | Research Summary
This brochure is a part of a natural lawn care communication campaign developed and refined through a series of grant funded homeowner surveys and focus groups. The goal is to address the issue of lawn care-related pollution in watersheds by targeting outreach efforts directly towards homeowners engaged in lawn care. Choosing the right turfgrass species for the lawn’s growing conditions is an important management practice. This brochure provides a brief introduction to turfgrass growth habits, a checklist for understanding your lawn’s growing conditions and provides a turfgrass selection guide.
- Reicher, Z., Bigelow, C., Patton, A., & Voigt, T. (2006). Zoysiagrass for Indiana. Purdue Extension. https://turf.purdue.edu/extpub/zoysiagrass-for-indiana/
- Fresenburg, B., Miller, L. (n.d.) Managing Lawns and Turfgrass. University of Missouri Extension. https://extension2.missouri.edu/mg10
- Hentschel, R., & Spangenberg, B. (n.d.). Groundcovers as lawn alternatives. University of Illinois Extension. https://web.extension.illinois.edu/lawntalk/other/groundcovers_as_lawn_alternatives.cfm
- Reicher, Z., Throssell, C. (1998, July). Improving Lawns in the Shade. Purdue Extension. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/AY/AY-14-W.pdf
- Braun, R. C., Patton, A. J., Watkins, E., Koch, P. L., Anderson, N. P., Bonos, S. A., & Brilman, L. A. (2020). Fine fescues: A review of the species, their improvement, production, establishment, and management. Crop Science, 60(3), 1142–1187. https://doi.org/10.1002/csc2.20122
- Murphy, J. A. (1996, September). Fine Fescues: Low Maintenance Species for Turf. Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension. https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/publication.php?pid=FS688
- Laskowski, M. (2018, July). Making roadsides greener by selecting salt tolerant turfgrasses. University of Minnesota: Turfgrass Science. https://turf.umn.edu/news/making-roadsides-greener-selecting-salt-tolerant-turfgrasses
Lawn to Lake Midwest. “Right Plant, Right Place: Selecting Turfgrass for Homeowners.” 2020. Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Report IISG20-RCE-BRC-044. https://iiseagrant.org/publications/right-plant-right-place-selecting-turfgrass-for-homeowners.