Great Lakes Data
Our specialists develop and host websites and tools for exploring both real-time and archived Great Lakes data. These are meant to be used by researchers, management agencies, and any other lake enthusiasts.
Programs & Initiatives
This site provides easy access to long-term, environmental monitoring data collected throughout the Great Lakes.See More
Real-time buoys in Lake Michigan serve multiple audiences: boaters, anglers, padders, surfers, weather forecasters, and charter boats. Data are refreshed every 10-60 minutes during the buoy season, which runs from April through late October.See More
Each year since 2002, through CSMI, multiple federal, state, and university scientists gather on one of the Great Lakes to take part in coordinated research. The last Lake Michigan-intensive field year was 2015 with the next coming up in 2020.See More
- Scientists bring the Great Lakes to students learning from home
- Sea Grant Faculty Scholars program provides new opportunities for researchers in Illinois and Indiana
- Lake Michigan Chinook salmon stick with declining alewife as their main meal
- Podcast: Buoys, Part 2 – Deploying and retrieving each year
- Podcast: Buoys, Part 1 – Tapping into Great Lakes data
Education & Training
We publish educational material, host workshops, and organize outreach events to educate people on how to use our online tools to access and apply southern Lake Michigan data.
Kits and costumes include: