IISG provides funding to researchers in Illinois and Indiana who are working on issues of importance to the southern Lake Michigan region. If you would like to receive emails related to funding competitions, including when they are open, please subscribe to our mailing list.
Work can typically be completed outside of the immediate Lake Michigan vicinity, provided strong connections are made between potential impacts of the proposed work and the southern Lake Michigan region or surrounding communities.
Funding is competitively awarded following these procedures.
Applicants should review the following templates and guidance.
Small research projects: CLOSED
Competitions happen as funding is available. Funding for development projects is typically $10,000-$25,000 for not more than one year. The next opportunity is expected in Fall 2019.
Large research projects: CLOSED
Competitions typically occur every two years. Funding is typically $40,000-$120,000 per year for two years. The next opportunity is expected in Fall 2020.
National competitions: OPEN
The National Sea Grant Office periodically requests proposals for research and outreach projects in topics of regional and national importance. Past competitions have focused on aquatic invasive species and aquaculture. Topics for future competitions will vary.
Highly Migratory Species
April 22, 2019: The National Sea Grant Office has announced a funding opportunity for highly migratory species (HMS) research. As part of the FY 2019 Appropriations Bill for NOAA, Congress directed the National Sea Grant College Program to spend up to $2 million to initiate a HMS research initiative focused on HMS species in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico, including the interactions between yellow-fin tuna and oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. See formal announcement for full description of species to be researched, type of work that can be proposed, and other requirements.
- Letters of intent are due May 15, 2019 (see formal announcement for details).
- Full proposals are due June 19, 2019 (see formal announcement for details).
- Formal announcement and related documents: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=315065
Fellowships & Scholarships
Find additional opportunities for faculty and graduate students on our Fellowships & Scholarships page.
- Aquaculture funding opportunities available
- IISG expands funding on ‘Persistent Organic Pollutants on Microplastics’ research
- IISG will fund Lake Michigan research: Submit your preproposal
- Sea Grant quagga mussel research leads to NSF funding
- Funding available for projects addressing key Great Lakes issues