The Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) program, in cooperation with Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, is offering an internship opportunity to support conservation policy efforts. Sea Grant’s national Community Engaged Internship (CEI) program aims to broaden participation in coastal, ocean, Great Lakes and marine sciences by offering paid internships to students from under-resourced, underrepresented and/or indigenous and tribal populations. Through this program, IISG’s goal is to engage diverse students in place-based research, extension, education and/or communication that respects and integrates local ways of knowing.
The IISG intern will be part of a national cohort of students. Each intern is expected to participate in all aspects of the CEI program:
- On-the-ground learning experience, including completion of a project that extends the knowledge of community stakeholders to address a coastal, marine or Great Lakes issue of environmental, economic and/or social importance.
- Mentoring by Sea Grant and Shedd professionals, Sea Grant funded researchers and Knauss Fellows.
- Virtual professional development sessions and training opportunities.
- Peer discussions with other interns in the cohort using Slack or other virtual platforms.
- Graduation ceremony to celebrate accomplishments, network with peers and other professionals (in-person meeting included, dependent on status of COVD-19 restrictions).
- Participation in pre/post evaluation.
This paid, full-time summer internship will be 10-12 weeks long, depending on the intern’s availability, starting no later than June 1, 2022. The intern will have the choice to work remotely, in-person at the Shedd Aquarium, or a hybrid schedule. If the status of COVID worsens, the intern can work completely remotely. Occasional travel may be possible for the internship, depending on travel status policies.
The application deadline is April 29, 2022. For full internship details, eligibility criteria and how to apply, please visit https://iiseagrant.org/about/about-us/community-engaged-internship/. For questions about this opportunity, email Angela Archer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant is a part of University of Illinois Extension and Purdue Extension.
Contact: Angela Archer