- Enhance the NAPRA online web-based decision support tool and update the soil database using SSURGO soils data suitable for field and county level evaluation
- Assess the level of phosphorus reaching water with existing cropping management systems and assess the change in phosphorus level due to increases in biofeedstock production and intensive livestock production
An Investigation of Microplastics as a Carrier for Perfluorinated Compounds into Great Lakes Food Webs
This project aims to investigate the potential role of marine plastic debris as a vector for Perfluorinated Compounds (PFAS). Specific research questions are:
- To what extent do three common plastic types found in the environment act as a sink for select PFASs in Muskegon Lake?
- How important is the residence time of the materials present in these water bodies concerning the extent of PFAS accumulation?
The objectives of this study are to:
- Study the sources and contamination levels of enteric bacteria and viruses in Burns Ditch, one of the most polluted streams that flow into Lake Michigan in Northwest Indiana.
- Determine the impact of the pollution of Burns Ditch on the microbial quality of lake front water off West Beach, located three kilometers west of the water outfall.
- Use a molecular approach to detect viruses in stream and lake waters.
- Use a computer-based image analysis system to determine the quantity of viruses in water samples.
Combining societal acceptance and biophysical drivers of conservation practices to improve water quality in multi-use landscapes
Development of a comparative toxicity database for the U.S. EPA priority drinking water disinfection by-products
- Examine drinking water disinfection byproducts for ability to kill mammalian cells and damage mammalian DNA
- Compare results to published databases that include carcinogens
- Grow freshwater actinomycete bacteria from sediment collected in Lake Michigan and other Great Lakes
- To test the hypothesis that human and animal E. coli strains are distinguishable
- To screen and select appropriate primers
- To build a small RAPD (random amplied polymorphic DNA) fingerprint database for E. coli from human and nonhuman sources
- To identify landmark DNA patterns
- To determine the sensitivity and applicability of this technology
Environmental trade-offs in water quality and climate regulation resulting from floodplain restoration using the two-stage ditch
- Test the acute and chronic effects of cotinine, and triclocarban on aquatic organisms including: green algae (Pseudokirchneriella capricornutum), water fleas (Daphnia magna) and fathead minnows
- Test the effects of pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) detected in Lake Michigan on diatom (Cyclotella meneghiniana) survival
- Conduct a mixture study chronically exposing D. magna, P.capricornotum, C. meneghiniana, and P. promelas to several PPCPs
- Aquaculture funding opportunities available
- IISG expands funding on ‘Persistent Organic Pollutants on Microplastics’ research
- IISG will fund Lake Michigan research: Submit your preproposal
- Sea Grant quagga mussel research leads to NSF funding
- Funding available for projects addressing key Great Lakes issues