An article titled “Solar-Powered IoT Buoy Blends STEM Education and Scientific Research” has been published by Tom Lombardo on engineering.com, covering Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant’s Michigan City buoy on Lake Michigan. Using information supplied by our partners in Purdue University’s Lyles School of Civil Engineering and IISG Education Coordinator Terri Hallesy, Lombardo breaks down some of the technical aspects of the buoy and explains how we use buoy data in some of our STEM-based educational resources.
The Michigan City buoy is deployed each spring and retrieved in the fall. (Hope Charters/Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant)
- Illinois Nutrient Loss Reduction Strategy Biennial Report reveals dramatic phosphorus reductions from point source sector
- Water quality team celebrates 100th birthday of Red Oak Rain Garden trees
- New video celebrates environmental education efforts in Tippecanoe County
- In the News: New resources support environmental planning at the local level
- IISG veterans win two national Sea Grant awards