Southern Lake Michigan Water Safety
Lake Michigan is a great place to enjoy a day at the beach. Unfortunately, southern Lake Michigan has the highest rate of drowning in the Great Lakes. Rapidly changing conditions, an uneven lake bottom, and dangerous currents can catch the most skilled swimmer, boater, or angler off guard.
The Southern Lake Michigan Water Safety Task Force brings together a variety of organizations, including Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant; federal, state, and municipal governments; and individuals interested in promoting the safe use of Lake Michigan waters. These groups are collaborating to share knowledge and resources and provide public education on water safety.
For more information, visit lakemichigansafety.org
Education & Training
- Sea Grant resources help you enjoy the great outdoors safely and responsibly
- The Helm magazine shares Lake Michigan art, as well as IISG success stories
- Lake Michigan charter fishing businesses suffer $9.2 million loss in 2020
- IISG staff members win outreach and communication awards
- Funding opportunity available for research to be completed in 2022-23