“The lake is one of 14 major sites in Michigan on a list of toxic hot spots in the Great Lakes region. The cleanup work is difficult and expensive, but it’s expected to improve conditions for people and wildlife throughout the region.Most of the work left at this point in the process for White Lake is paperwork. If everything goes as planned, White Lake will be taken off the toxic hot spot list in October, making it the very first in Michigan to complete the cleanup process.”
Posted April 7th, 2014 in Great Lakes Cleanup
White Lake, located in Michigan just north of Muskegon, has long been listed as an Area of Concern in the Great Lakes region. Federal officials are currently moving forward on one of the last efforts to remove the lake from the AOC list.
Read the complete story at the link above.
- IISG hiring six undergraduate interns for summer 2022
- We’re searching for an AIS specialist to work on research and outreach
- Meet Our Grad Student Scholars: Alexandra (Ali) Touloupas
- Meet Our Grad Student Scholars: Jordan Holtswarth-Hartman
- Scientists rally to collect data after Lake Michigan CSMI sampling year delayed to 2021