Adrienne Gulley, IISG pollution prevention outreach specialist, meets with five enthusiastic high school students from Peoria, Illinois. Gulley brought along the “EnviroScape,” a plastic model she uses to demonstrate how pollution affects water quality. The students belong to the selective 4-H Spark Tank, a program developed by University of Illinois Extension. Their goal is to “change the face of the South Side of Peoria through a beautification project” by building a hoop house—similar to a greenhouse. The students plan to raise native Illinois plants and vegetables to distribute to the community. Construction kicks off this spring.
- We’re searching for a senior environmental extension scientist to work on Great Lakes issues
- We’re looking for a visiting environmental extension associate to focus on community revitalization
- Today’s health and environmental concerns direct IISG’s efforts
- Scientists bring the Great Lakes to students learning from home
- Learn how IISG is addressing coastal issues in The Helm