- Identify consumer preferences and demand for fish products
- Estimate consumers’ willingness-to-pay for important food safety and quality informational attributes embedded in aquaculture products
- Assess the competitiveness of aquaculture products with regards to food safety versus imported aquaculture products
Research and Funding Research Projects
Determination of the effects of culture temperature on growth, survival and biochemical composition of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides)
To evaluate the effect of culture temperature on growth, survival, and body composition of largemouth bass.
Development of Sustainable Aquaculture in Midwest through Improvement of Larval Fish Rearing Stages
The main bottleneck to further development of sustainable and intensive aquaculture in Midwest is improvement of larval fish rearing technologies and larval fish nutrition. The main objective of this project is to develop detailed protocols for larval largemouth bass rearing in indoor facilities that will help to support high survival and growth performance of this species in its young age.
Energy efficient and sustainable aquaculture water treatment Using microbial fuel cells and membrane-supported biofilms
- Investigate the feasibility of a new treatment process, based on microbial fuel cells and membrane-supported biofilms reactors for removing nitrogen and sulfide in simulated recirculating aquaculture systems wastewater.
- Determine the nitrogen and sulfide removal efficiencies, and levels of electric power production
- Test different reactor configurations under variable loading conditions
Evaluation of Yellow Perch, Perca flavescens, Production Methods in Polyculture and Seasonal Rotation with Freshwater Prawns
- Evaluate the polyculture of yellow perch in cages with freshwater prawns in ponds.
- Evaluate the effect of culture temperature on growth and survival of yellow perch.
Increasing the availability of veterinarians for Indiana and Illinois aquaculturists
- Develop and deliver an introductory fish health class for veterinarians and veterinary students, fisheries professionals and students, and other stakeholders in Illinois and Indiana
Isolation of Fish Growth Factor
The goal of this research is to purify and identify cell growth-promoting activity found in fish embryo extract.
Largemouth Bass Muscle Hydrolysate as Practical Replacement of Live Food for Largemouth Bass Larvae
- Develop an optimal methodology for largemouth bass (LMB) muscle hydrolysis using digestive enzymes representing LMB digestive tract
- Evaluate the effect of LMB muscle protein hydrolysate used as first feed on the growth and survival of LMB larvae
- Provide feed/additive manufacturing industry with knowledge and tools required for production of high-quality, cost effective, and well-digested dietary muscle hydrolysate as a source of protein in larval fish feeds
Lipid Nutrition and Metabolism in Yellow Perch
The objectives of this project are to:
- Develop a growth curve for yellow perch fed purified and practical diets.
- Evaluate the effects of dietary lipids on growth, feed efficiency, and nutritional composition of fillets.
- Provide an indication of the essential fatty acid needs of yellow perch.
Campus Engagement Coordinator`
- Funding available to support social and economic research on PFAS in the Great Lakes region
- Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant supports Great Lakes and Lake Champlain region PFAS research
- The new year brings a bounty of Sea Grant professional opportunities
- Funding opportunity open for 2024-25 research projects
- IISG invites applications for faculty and graduate scholars programs