File Size: 4.79 MB
This is the seventh in a series of consumer guides that describe fish and shellfish farmed in the Midwest region of the United States. (See Walleye Farmed Fish Fact Sheet, Yellow Perch Farmed Fish Fact Sheet, Tilapia Farmed Fish Fact Sheet, Rainbow Trout Farmed Fished Fact Sheet, Pacific White Shrimp Farmed Fish Fact Sheet, and American Paddlefish Farmed Fish Fact Sheet). The fact sheet also includes culinary characteristics, cooking tips and a recipe for Classic Fried Catfish.
- Pam Fuller, and Matt Neilson, 2022, Ictalurus punctatus (Rafinesque, 1818): U.S. Geological Survey, Nonindigenous Aquatic Species Database, Gainesville, FL, https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=2341, Revision Date: 10/4/2019, Peer Review Date: 5/29/2012, Access Date: 6/27/2022
- National Audubon Society. 2002. National Audubon Society Field Guide to Fishes. Chanticleer
- United States Department of Agriculture Census of Agriculture: 2018 Census of Aquaculture. 2018. United States Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service. Available online: https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/AgCensus/2017/Online_Resources/Aquaculture/index.php
- Bosko, Shayna A., Denise M. Foley, and Rosalee S. Hellberg. “Species substitution and country of origin mislabeling of catfish products on the US commercial market.” Aquaculture 495 (2018): 715–720.
- Santerre, C.R. & Bush, P.B. & Xu, De-Hai & Lewis, G.W. & Davis, J.T. & Grodner, R.M. & Ingram, R. & Wei, C.I. & Hinshaw, Jeffrey. “Metal Residues in Farm‐Raised Channel Catfish, Rainbow Trout, and Red Swamp Crayfish from the Southern U.S.” Journal of Food Science 66 (2001): 270–273. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.2001.tb11330.x.
- Fish for Your Health Wallet Card. 2020. Available online: https://www.purdue.edu/hhs/nutr/fish4health/Walletcard/walletCard.html